Hi Lester,

AFAIK both mercurial and git support sub-repositories nicely now:

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Subrepository
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-submodule.html

Regarding the graphical tools, I don't use them that much, but I see your
point. Personally, I just occasionally use the Netbeans integration because
it is easier to commit files in separate directories, but that is pretty
much it since I think the rest is easier and quicker to do with the console,
but I guess it will always be a matter of personal preference.

I've been working with hg subrepos and they are quite nice. I'm still not
that familiar with git submodules.

BTW, you don't need to use python to customize/extend mercurial's behavior,
you can use hooks: http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Hook

Best regards,

David