> I don't think anyone cares about JSON for the sake of being perfect
> JSON, I didn't intend to give that impression.

Then you should stop saying "pure JSON" and "true JSON" constantly!

> I'm  only  hoping for something that generally works on par with all
> the  other  JSON parsers in the world.

OK,  that  trashes  your  example,  where values were set based on the
result  of  a PHP function. There is no "par" for JSON parsers running
methods  _at  creation  time_,  within  the  server  (author) context.
Setting  vars  to  the return value of a function is something we take
for  granted  in  real  languages,  but it cannot happen within what a
knowledgeable person would call "JSON."

> Yes,  JSON  is a very specific encoding, but when a developer writes
> something  "jsony",  what  they  mean  is  "an object/array with the
> following  structure/values",  because  that  is  what  the encoding
> really represents.

Not Javascript developers. Maybe jQiddies think that

    {'$gt': strtotime('-1 day')}

is "JSONy" more than it is "JS objecty"?

This is like starting from "Wouldn't inline CSVs be great for creating
arrays?"  and  drifting  to "I mean, not like with that comma-escaping
stuff,  and,  uh, newlines would be allowed in the middle of a record,
and  you'd  have to allow create-time interpolation of function calls.
You know, CSVy!"

Only  thing  I  might  generously  refer  to  as  being "JSONy," while
provably  not being valid JSON, is a string that conforms in every way
_except_  for  using  single  quotes  --  everywhere  that doubles are
required  --  instead  of  using  doubles.  Anything else is someone's
mangled "JankySON" or just not JSON.

-- S.