Hi Derick and all,

I think we have had some reasonable additions to the language in PHP 5.3 + will
have a couple of good ones in PHP 5.4. That said, I do agree we should have a
strong bias against language feature creep unless there is a really strong
compelling reason.
I do think that an increase of focus on enriching the eco-system around the
core language esp. PHP extensions will be a lot more valuable. This is
especially so if we can target many of the up and coming technologies and get
such extensions production ready to bundle in Core PHP (hence my previous email
re: adding some modern extensions).

We've benefited in the past from a lot of enhancements and innovation around
extensions incl. SimpleXML, variety of database, json, datetime, etc... Having
another wave of really strong core extensions would be very beneficial and
consistent with our past bias to deliver everything Web developers need
out-of-the-box.

Hence my suggestion to bundle MongoDB extension and possibly work on additional
extensions. Some of my suggestions probably rightfully didn't get much interest
such as Thrift.

Maybe we should consider making a list of extensions we think could be
beneficial and the new mentorship program can actually help deliver some of
them?

Stas, on a different note, weren't we going to roll a 5.4 alpha?
Andi