After a discussion on irc, I was thinking about something similar:
adding my patch back, but adding -error-log to the --INI--
Stas, I still don't know why do have a custom php.ini, and why is it used.
The make test should create tmp-php.ini for you (and copy your
additional ini files there if you passed --with-config-file-scan-dir
for the build) and pass -n -c tmp-php.ini as an argument to the
invidual tests.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu