On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Hannes Magnusson
<hannes.magnus...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Running tests exclusively in an environment known to work doesn't help us.

It indeed does, and much more than random failures in random environments.

However it is not about one or the other, it is about both and about
having as much tests environments as possible. Unit tests (phpt)
should be in controlled environment to be useful. If a case is not
tested, then a new test is required. This is the only to have usable
delta  (if something is broken :) between commits or releases. Ideally
we will have many of such environments running our phpts, but the
configuration of each of them must be known and constants to be really
useful.

It is also not possible to imagine all possible cases and that's why
further testing are required, like application testing and unit tests
of these applications. For example we do run applications as part of
the CI in our labs, many bugs or regressions have been found this way,
some of them have made it back to the core as simple test case. But
this is not always possible (cross requests issue or complex cases).

Cheers,
--
Pierre