On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Andrew Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:
> APC will make things faster, though, you're missing that. And optimisations,
> which an AST would help, would make it even faster.

Respectfully, I didn't miss that, and I alluded to that potential in
my response (did you read all of my response.) As should be obvious
from my post, if this approach lead to increased performance, I would
be all for it.

However, as Knuth has said, "It is often a mistake to make a priori
judgments about what parts of a program really critical, since the
universal experience of programmers who have been using measurement
tools has been that their intuitive guesses fail."

So, I'm cautious about the premise that this will/could lead to an
overall improvement in performance compared to the current
implementation, a caution that the RFC spoke to very clearly.

My point is that, if there is an increase in the resources required,
that is a really big deal.

Adam