hi Zeev,

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

> Most users don't upgrade because they don't need the new features and
> can't be bothered to upgrade.
>
> There's no such thing as 100% downwards compatibility, and 5.5 will be no
> different in that sense from previous versions.  Perhaps it'll be three
> nines instead of two nines (99.9% vs. 99%), but every keyword, every bug
> fix, every change in an error reporting level - can break apps and make an
> upgrade process non smooth.  We're not going to be able to change people's
> perception.

nitpicking. You know what I mean.

> I admire your self-confidence, you seem to have enough of it for a whole
> battalion of developers, but it's complete unwarranted in this case

I have to suggest to join me in the next conferences then. Like the
one I gave talks about this topic (DrupalCons, general PHP
conferences, dozen of UGs, companies conferences, etc.). And the
attendees are not the usual suspects you could find at some major US
conferences.

>  (as well as other cases in recent weeks).

I suppose you refer to my comments about us being out of sync with our
user bases, let say you talk to part of our users and I do to another.
Amazingly most of the frameworks and apps lead developers think the
same have the same opinion, go figure.

> I think you're promoting a bad
> thing for PHP, not because our users are idiots or fail to understand the
> amazing advantages of a yearly release cycle - but because it's just bad.

I promote what I and the users I talk to believe to be a good thing.

Cheers,
--
Pierre

@pierrejoye