Jordi Boggiano in php.internals (Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:33:06 +0100):
>On 28.02.2013 11:47, Frank Schenk wrote:
>> For our company stability and bug fixes are way more important (like
>> 10fold) than having fancy new features. I was asked, if we can switch to
>> 5.4.x but i refused, because it's a couple of days work for each project
>> to evaluate and migrate to 5.4.x
>
>I can see your point, but don't you think this is also an "old"
>mentality that might need to be adjusted? What I mean is that with the
>higher frequency of releases, and the more strict "no-BC breaks"
>guidelines (many thanks to Pierre and others for doing your best to
>enforce that btw..), upgrading becomes less dangerous since there are
>less minor changes. I personally can't remember having any issues with
>5.4 except for 5.4.0 breaking some odd things in file_get_contents, but
>.0 releases are always too buggy to upgrade. I have also been developing
>with 5.5 for a while now and did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

The life cycle of many frameworks is much longer than PHP's release
cycle. Just Google on 'drupal6 views "PHP 5.4"' and you will see that
there are 5.4 issues in one of the core modules in drupal 6. Example:
http://drupal.org/node/1833170

Workaround: turn off strict warnings. You do not want users to do that.
Or, other approach, filter PHP's error messages with regexs:
http://www.howtoeverything.net/linux/drupal/selectively-hide-strict-warning-errors-php-5.4-drupal-6.x-views

Jan