I'm very sure users will not complain if 5.5 is delayed for a few months.
Most websites will not be installing 5.5 immediately after it has been
released.

My take on this is that we integrate O+ in to core, iron out all the issues
and then release  a stable 5.5.

If O+ will improve the performance of PHP then I'm sure users will love it.

__
Raymond