On 01/03/2013, at 9:22 AM, Jan Ehrhardt <php...@ehrhardt.nl> wrote:

> Raymond Irving in php.internals (Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:56:11 -0500):
>> I'm very sure users will not complain if 5.5 is delayed for a few months.
>> Most websites will not be installing 5.5 immediately after it has been
>> released.
>
> On the contrary: many users will welcome it because it delays the EOL of
> PHP 5.3 as well. The outcome of a previous vote was that PHP 5.3 would
> become unsupported within, say, 14 months from now. An unbelievable
> short time frame given the fact that many sites did not even migrate to
> PHP 5.3.
>
> JAn
>
> --

There's all this talk about the lack of 5.4 adoption being related to the lack
of an opcode cache. I think that's ridiculous. Most shared hosts that I know
about do not even offer opcode caching, so that can't be the reason why they
haven't upgraded.

I know of one host that said it was because Zend Guard no longer supported BSD
after 5.2 (don't know if it has since been added back in because that host has
since upgraded to 5.3). Others work with LTS distro releases like Ubuntu and
Red Hat, neither of which are on 5.4 either. The next Ubuntu LTS release won't
be out until April 2014, so don't expect a surge in 5.4 adoption (or whatever
version 14.04 comes with) for at least another year.

For me personally, I'm running sites on 5.2 and 5.3. I am unable to upgrade to
5.4 and beyond because of the removal of register_globals and magic_quotes_gpc.
I am not complaining that they were removed. Those two settings have been a
huge pain in the backside for years, and I'm glad they're gone. But the legacy
software I have to maintain was written assuming they were available and on. It
will take a *very* long time to fix and update all that code to run on 5.4.

Cheers,
David