On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Rasmus Lerdorf <ras...@lerdorf.com> wrote:
> > On 03/07/2013 08:26 AM, Pierre Joye wrote:
> >
> >> That being said, if o+ would have 2/3 of the votes, I think it is
> >> possible to get it stable until 5.5 final, not easy but possible.
> >
> > We already covered that. An opcode cache doesn't affect the language
> > itself. There is no new syntax and no BC issues. Much like a performance
> > improvement patch that has no effect on the language syntax doesn't need
> > 2/3. Whether it is "major" or not, doesn't matter per the established
> > voting process. You can't both be a stickler for the details of this
> > process and then ignore them when they become inconvenient for you.
>

> btw, I would even have included phar as affecting the language, as
> even if you don't use it at all in your code, it affects how php
> behaves. We had many issues related to phar while it was not used at
> all in the code (due to the hooks). That's not exactly the same thing
> than o+ but it has the same kind of possible impacts.

And there comes the true definition of "affects language behavior".
We still don't agree each other of what a "major" change, and a "minor" one
are, *and* : do we talk about user-level changes, or internals changes ? Or
both ?

That definitely needs to be clarified, or Anthony's idea of no distinction
on any RFC and make them require 2/3 to be accepted as well.

Julien.Pauli