On 25 juni 2013 at 01:20:04, Anthony Ferrara (ircmax...@gmail.com) wrote:
Joost,

First off, let me say welcome and thanks for the contribution!

I have a couple of questions around the intended proposal.

1. How do you plan on handling the case where there are multiple catch blocks?

    try {
        code();
    } catch {
        doSomething();
    } catch {
        doSomethingElse();
    }
As mentioned as latest sentence in the Proposal chapter, an anonymous catch can
only be used as the latest catch, and there can only be one of them. This is
also how my current implementation works.

2. You mention as a benefit "Better possibilities for static analysis tools".
Can you elaborate on this? I don't see how this sort of a change would have any
effect (as catch would be the same as the existing `catch (\Exception $e)`)...
It's mostly for finding unused variables. I suppose that static analysers
currently ignore unused exception variables, but they don't have to when this
is accepted and can properly indicate unused exception variables.

3. What benefit short of not having to type `(\Exception $e)` would this have?
Populating the symbol table is extremely cheap at this stage, because the
variable is already compiled in (so no hash table lookup or anything).
Performance wise it's indeed very minor and doesn't really matter. It's more
that you're adding code indicating that only a specific exception is used,
while that may not really be the case.

Consider Java people --Java has Throwable as the superclass of Exception-- they
may not know that in PHP 'Exception' is the least-specific type and therefore
used as catch-all.

As for leaving of the variable, the type of an exception mostly tells enough
about what happened (well, it should), so you don't have to inspect the
exception's error code/message and thus don't need the exception object at all.

Additionally, I would recommend changing the version target to 5.NEXT (which
would be 5.6 in practice).
Done!

As far as my personal feelings, I'd like to get some other commentary first.

Thanks again!!!

Anthony