On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Kris Craig <kris.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:
>

> > On 17 Jul 2014, at 10:24, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > This is already what is currently happening, see
> > > http://lxr.php.net/xref/PHP_TRUNK/Zend/zend_operators.c#1067.
> > >
> > > Andreas proposal is only useful in the case that the numbers don't
> divide
> > > exactly and you need round-down/truncation behavior and your numbers
> are
> > in
> > > a range where the indirection through double arithmetic results in
> > > precision loss.
> >
> > It’s still useful regardless as it saves you implementing it in terms of
> > floats.
> >
> > I mean, you can implement a right shift (rarely used outside bit masks)
> in
> > terms of multiplication and exponentiation, but that doesn’t mean you
> > shouldn’t have a right shift.
> >
> > --
> > Andrea Faulds
> > http://ajf.me/
> >

> > --
> >

> There seems to be a pretty even split on this.  Personally, I'm a +1 for
> it.  PHP has tons of obscure, rarely used functions.  Even if the gain is
> relatively minor, there's really no cost that I can think of.  So from a
> cost-benefit standpoint, even a minor improvement is still desirable when
> there's no practical downside to it.
>
> Given the number of options that are coming up, I'd suggest you break the
> RFC down into two votes:  A simple yes/no vote followed by an "if yes, how
> should it be implemented?" vote with the various options (the operators,
> functions, etc).  If the RFC passes, then whichever option got a plurality
> of the votes would be the implemented option.

This makes it more complicated because a language change requires 2/3
majority while a new function requires 50% + 1.

To make things simpler - and I believe it had been proposed before - the
main vote should include the implementation as a function and the secondary
vote should be for the operator.

> So yeah, I'd say bring it to a vote and that'll settle it one way or
> another.
>
> --Kris

Tjerk