On 7/24/14, 2:38 PM, Sara Golemon wrote:
On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Rowan Collins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:
Zend is only one of many
contributors. Yes, the engine is still named Zend Engine but the
language has been improved by many php.net contributors.

The idea was that "ZPHP" is PHP running on top of the Zend Engine, in the
same way that "JRuby" is Ruby running on top of the JVM, and "CPython" is
Python implemented in C.  In my mind, it doesn't imply any connection to the
company of the same name - especially if we're only borrowing its first
letter - but perhaps others would see that differently.

We (HHVM) ran into this issue as well.  We'd talk about the way PHP
(the reference implementation) does something and needed to
disambiguate it from PHP (the language syntax).  Prior to my joining
the project "Zend" was the go-to moniker for this.  Since I've seen
that go down very poorly many times in the past (who here remembers
the ZendCon where they included "Zend === PHP" on their marketing
materials?) I pushed the team towards saying "PHP5" when referring to
the implementation, and "PHP" when referring to the language syntax.

That's not really a solution for us (PHP), but I do think the issue of
separating the language from the implementation is useful, even if our
(PHP) implementation of PHP (syntax) is and will always be the
de-facto reference implementation.

-Sara

P.S. - Pronouns are getting hard, yo.

Until we figure it out, I will be referring to the current common implementation as "Zippy". Hopefully it catches on.

--Larry Garfield