On Nov 1, 2014, at 08:28, Rowan Collins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1 November 2014 11:53:11 GMT, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Oct 31, 2014 4:57 AM, "John Bafford" <jbaff...@zort.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to propose the creation of a team to triage the pull
>> requests on GitHub, to help ensure that the pull requests are handled
>> in a
>> timely manner. I am also volunteering to lead such a team, should the
>> RFC
>> be approved.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/github-pr
>>>
>>> PHP’s GitHub repository has over 180 open pull requests. Many of
>> these
>> are bug fixes or new tests that should be incorporated into PHP, but
>> have
>> not been because the PRs aren’t being regularly monitored. As a result,
>> the
>> large number of open pull requests may also be discouraging
>> contributions,
>> as potential contributors may see that pull requests are not being
>> acted on
>> and decline to submit changes.
>>
>> As much as I like the idea I never understood why we do not have them
>> here.
>>
>> Given that many PRs have discussions, it should show up on internals.
>>
>> PS: yes we have a PR list. Which did not work as expected. PRs and
>> discussions in them should not be considered as noises to the internals
>> list
>
> It depends on the type of discussion - PR discussions can be an opportunity
> for code review and discussing the minutiae of the implementation, which
> don't really warrant forwarding to a wider audience. If the discussion
> becomes about the merit or impact of the change itself, then a discussion on
> Internals might make sense. The same is true of bug discussions; having every
> comment on every bug flood the list wouldn't make sense, but some should
> probably be forwarded here to get a wider audience.
>
> I don't know what the volume in this case would be, though. If there were
> several posts popping up on Internals every day about someone misplacing a
> curly brace, I would definitely think it was noise; if it were a few threads
> a week, mostly discussing the actual substance of changes, I'd be fine with
> it.

I would expect that, at the least, there would be an uptick in discussion just
as a result of weekly PR summary making the pending PRs more visible. My guess
is that there might be a lot of discussion and/or noise initially as we get the
current backlog (185 PRs currently open) whittled down to something more
manageable, so it might take a few months after the RFC is adopted for the true
nature of the volume increase (if any) to become apparent.

-John