> De : Rowan Collins [mailto:rowan.coll...@gmail.com]
>
> What if we defined the types as names in the \PHP namespace, but defined
> a slightly different algorithm for resolving typehints vs other uses:
>
> function foo(\PHP\types\numeric $a) // unambiguous but unwieldy
> function foo(\My\Namespace\numeric $a) // unambiguously *not* a built-in
> type
> function foo(numeric $a) // ambiguous, resolved at compile time
>
> The name would be resolved as follows:
>
> Given a typehint $type:
> 1) If $type begins with '\PHP\types\', interpret it it as an internal type.
> 2) ElseIf $type contains '\', interpret it as a class name, and proceed
> with normal class resolution at runtime.
> 3) ElseIf \PHP\types\$type is the name of a built-in type, interpret it
> as that internal type.
> 4) Else, interpret it as a class name, and proceed with normal class
> resolution at runtime.
>
> Basically, this means you can do the following:
>
> class String {}
> function accept_scalar_string(string $string) { ... }
> function accept_string_object(\String $string) { ... }
>

> The nice thing about this is that if we ever allow users to define
> "basic" types - copy-on-write structs, range types, enums, etc - they
> could "extend" these built-in types.
>
> Does that make sense to anyone, or am I over-complicating things?

Well, that's a solution, at least theoretically speaking.

Frankly, I find it unreadable and I don't see reserving \PHP\types as a clean
solution. IMO, adding semi-virtual namespaces would be mostly confusing and
would just hide the initial name clash issue.

There are a lot of other ways to extend type hinting to user-defined types.
Maybe we will reserve namespaces for this case. In your design, where would
these user types go ? in \PHP\usertype\ ? or would they share \PHP\types with
built-in types (which recreates the same issue) ?

Regards

François