On 02/03/15 22:09, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:

> Old names works. No one forces users to use new names.
> I'll update PHP documents. It's a lot of work, but I'll.
> 3rd party documents may be update if they would like to.

Some developers will drop PHP5 support for third party libraries in much
the same way as they will enable 'strict' by default. *WE* have no
control over that other than either maintaining our own version of the
same libraries or simply not bothering to risk the problems of
upgrading. "No one forces users to use new names" is simply burying head
in sand ... there will be those who insist that names must be changed if
the 'modern way' is made available.

> The issue here is PHP will keep inconsistent names forever or not.
> IMHO.

Some of the extensions that you want to rename could be provided as
completely self contained replacements if that is what people need, and
at the same time restructure the parameters to be 'more consistent'
leaving the legacy suite in place. The suggestion has been made many
times that an alternate string or array extension as an option would be
a lot more practical and then a legacy build can be maintained.

gd is probably a good case for that approach, as some of us still use
imagick to provide the same facilities anyway, or gmagick or magickwand
and changing the cross reference charts from gd will not be helpful.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL