On 04/03/15 03:34, Yasuo Ohgaki wrote:
> I made list of rename candidates
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/consistent_function_names#list_of_functions_to_be_renamed
> If you have suggestions, I appreciate!

Taking the starting point ... the coding standard for writing C code for
PHP ... personally I would love if the PHP code area followed all of the
rules in the C set. My own particular grip is with using tabs internally
in the C code, but spaces in the PHP code. The very reason that PSR is
another inconsistency. So we follow C rules for C code and PSR rules for
PHP. Or not ... I will always use tabs across all code bases, but the
other point here is that PSR demands camelCase rather than adding
underscores and many of the new libraries have been added following that
format rather than the C rules.

So even replacing the whole structure of internal names, they will be
inconsistent with external naming 'rules'. The coding standards
themselves are inconsistent :(

If we are looking at the C codespace, then as has already been said we
are using C library names in a large majority of cases. So programmers
who are switching between C and PHP codespace either need to rebuild all
of the C libraries using the new names, or live with that inconsistency?

I am slowly coming around to the thought that since how I would prefer
to work is not going to be provided by PHP then creating my own versions
of some extensions is going to be the right way forward, so I will
perhaps be working more in 'C' space than in 'PHP' space. This is partly
because of the growing uncertainty about handling SQL compliant types in
PHP, and the increasing need to work out how to add back the limit
checks provided naturally by 32bit processor builds. There are a lot
more important things than introducing what I view as yet another layer
of inconsistency when for example, the whole string management area
needs to be augmented with a proper object based structure where the
str_ becomes redundant? mbstring should also become redundant in that
rework.

As I have already said, the GD library is just a wrapper around the
underlying libgd C package, and while it is now maintained by Pierre
under the umbrella of PHP, it is used in other languages so creating a
new wrapper for PHP without regard for it's C and other interfaces is
again introducing more inconsistencies.

While http has been rejected for bundling, it is another example of not
following the C coding standard ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL