Hi Christian,

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Christian Stoller <stol...@leonex.de> wrote:

> From: yohg...@gmail.com [mailto:yohg...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Yasuo
> Ohgaki, Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 9:45 AM
>
> > On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Christian Stoller <stol...@leonex.de>
> wrote:
> > From: yohg...@gmail.com [mailto:yohg...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Yasuo
> Ohgaki, Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2015 > 7:21 AM
> >
> >> For example, ctype extension has "ctype_" prefix. It replaces
> >> "is" to "ctype_".
> >> we may have "isalpha" alias as IEEE compliant name. There are many
> >> IEEE confirmed names already. Only small adjustments are needed.
> >>

> > Changing ctype_alpha to isalpha would be inconsistent with is_numeric.
> >
> > I'm not going to change ctype_alpha to isalpha, but add IEEE complied
> name
> > alias. So the manual page would have ctype_alpha as the main function,
> > isalpha as IEEE complied alias.
>
> Hi Yasuo,
>
> I am not sure if you understood me correctly. If you add the alias
> `isalpha`, there will be people who will complain about new inconsistences,
> because there will be `isalpha` and `is_numeric`. Function names starting
> with "is", having an underscore and some having no underscore.
>
> I do not think that this mix will lead to less complains by developers.

Your point may be true.

AFAIK, developers are complaining about
 - procedural functions having current and old naming conventions
 - string and array functions has different parameter order for $needle and
$subject

POSIX compliant names may be added as alias for IEEE 1003.1 compliance.
I'll indicate those functions are comply IEEE 1003.1 standard convention
mostly.
PHP is not C, so it cannot comply fully, but PHP can comply mostly. For
developers
know IEEE 1003.1 can use these functions assuming it works as IEEE 1003.1
function mostly. Most developers will not complain to have IEEE 1003.1
complied
aliases, I suppose.

While I think IEEE complied names are useful, others may not.
I'll have vote option for this.

I appreciate feedback!

Regards,

--