On 03/04/2015 08:26 AM, guilhermebla...@gmail.com wrote:
> @Rasmus:
>
> I don't see what's the problem of aliasing functions for the next 1-2
> majors, deprecate the inconsistent one in the following and remove later.

As far as I am concerned str_len() would be the inconsistent one. Like I
explained previously, these function names for the most part, aren't
ones I made up. They come from the underlying libraries and whether you
personally value that or not, there is an actual reason for their names.
Many of them are iconic entities on their own, at least to people with
experience outside of PHP. Terms like "recvfrom", "getenv" and yes,
"strlen" are well-established names that should not be split up into
"recv_from", "get_env" and "str_len" due to some sort of arbitrary
consistency/purity idea any more than I should have my name changed to
Ras_mus.

As many people have already suggested in this thread, if we are going to
do something here it has to bring actual value and can't just be a bunch
of aliases littering the global namespace further.

-Rasmus