> Hi Niklas

> >> No, we're discussing every aspect of the project, from release
> management
> >> to personal introductions.
> >

> > Release management, RFCs and other things totally fit something I'd call
> > issue.
> > Personal introductions are a valid point, they're nothing I'd do with
> > issues, that's something that fits here.
> >
> >> I can see more than one benefit. Probably most important is that you
> >>
> >> I subscribe with a gmail account, filter the list into its own folder,
> >> then pick out the threads I'm interested in using Thunderbird or K9
> Mail.
> >> Most of the time there are only about half a dozen active threads
> anyway.

> >> I CC'd you on this message; how is that not "pinging' you? Actually,
> it's
> >> a bit *too* easy, as a lot of the time "Reply to All" is simpler than
> >> "Reply to List". Either way, that's a feature issue trackers have
> borrowed
> >> from forums rather than vice versa.
> >

> > It's probably because GMail lacks a clear indication here. There is one,
> > but not eye-catching enough.
> > Having a lot of clients to choose from with different features can
> totally
> > be a advantage, because everyone can choose the one that he / she likes
> > best, but there are also disadvantages like a higher barrier for new
> users
> > or non-regular users.
>
> So basically we shall change a well established open source tool because
> gmail isn't capable of handling an RFC and Some developers are unable to
> setup their tools properly? Yes it is exagerating I know. But that' how I
> currently feel about this topic.

I can see your point. I just think open source projects shouldn't have the
need to setup a bunch of tools to contribute in a discussion.

> > TBH, it's not just about communication on the mailing list here. PHP's
> bug
> > tracker is a real PITA, at least for users without a php.net account.
>
> I'm not sure why it's a PITA. you can search for issues without problems.
> And if you miss certain functions you can open a PR. Yes, without karma you
> can't change anything. Which - AFAIK - isn't possible in github or any
> other issue-tracker as well. And that's what we are talking about here.

Not being able to change anything without karma is totally fine, PRs are a
good and established way here. Problem is more that if you want to discuss
things here, you'd have to setup the tools you were talking about, just to
follow a single discussion.

> > How about a tool like Phabricator?
>
> And why not Jira? Or bugzilla? Or Bitbucket? Or gitlab? or github? or ...

All of them would be better than the current PHP bug tracker, Phabricator
was just an example for a open tool better than the current system. Hey,
there isn't even a login for users without php.net account.

> Why not use the existing tools and spend the time lost in such discussions
> by instead making these tools awesome?

Yeah, good question, why was php-bugs created again?

Regards, Niklas