Hi!

> More properly - PHP is done in a way that doesn't allow big data
> processing yet :)
>
> LuaJIT may be used for in-kernel packet filtering...

But we're not targeting PHP for in-kernel packet filtering. And we
should not sacrifice language semantics for minuscule gains in
performance. Especially given that banning unset by itself will achieve
nothing - you also have to deal with lots of other ways object can be
initialized.

> Run bench.php with CALL and GOTO VM.
> You'll see 20-30% performance difference caused by branch miss-prediction.

That's whole VM, not one branch which is never taken.

> I think, If we may eliminate checks we should do it (at type-system
> design level).

I don't think we really can without introducing some very strange
limitations, like banning unsets or limiting serialization or
introducing special magic methods that are optimized differently, etc.

--
Stas Malyshev
smalys...@gmail.com