This is not a default value (i.e. you can use = null in middle of required
parameters), but defacto a nullable parameter type.
Default values should and will always be changeable between functions in an
inheritance tree.

And while it's a tiny BC break, one can very easily fix the function from
function (array $foo = []) { ... }
function (array $foo = null) { if (!$foo) { $foo = []; } ... }

Which satisfies all of todays and future code.

Thanks,
Bob