Den 2019-04-24 kl. 19:55, skrev Stanislav Malyshev:
Hi!

A 68% majority which barely clears the 2/3 requirements for something as
fundamental as that - with so many core devs against it - we'll deserve all
the criticism that will be coming our way in 7.4/8.0 from end users
wondering why we needlessly broke their apps and made migration a bit more
of a headache.
I agree. I think it will be a mistake to do this, and it will hurt a lot
of people upgrading to 7.4, and people who voted "yes" seriously
underestimate how much old code is out there. And the benefit of this
change for the user is virtually non-existant (in fact, one of the
listed benefits - "As such source code may leak if PHP relying on the
short open tags is executed on a configuration where this isn't enabled"
- is exactly the situation that would happen when the RFC is implemented).

Hi,

I recall the discussion about extending the support for 7.4 like we had for 5.6, see:
- https://externals.io/message/104581#104807

I read the discussion as it was rejected, but features like this would benefit from it,
since not only "inhouse" code will need to adapt but also libraries.

So with this feature we put more weight in the migration bucket, but not so much benefit. Are we then willing to extend the support for PHP 7.4 given features like
this? Other BC breaking features will of course also benefit ;-)

r//Björn L