I continue to find motivations #1 and #3 utterly bizarre, especially that "open tags not being compatible with XML" is still being used as a justification.

That said, the depreciation and removal process looks solid, with the exception of complete removal in PHP 8.1.

I must question if people are really so desperate to use <? in plain text (for XML?) that it needs to be removed with such haste, especially as its continued existence at that point would be strictly as a security feature.

If I may make one suggestion, I see the depreciation message is quite plain. One would not be stretching the bounds of reasonableness too far to suggest the creation of a dedicated page on php.net that contains a description, a link to csfixer etc, and then that link be included in the depreciation message itself.

--
Mark Randall