On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 4:27 PM G. P. B. <george.bany...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now if we can all agree that this can land without needing to go through
> this
> whole process I think everybody wins: we all don't need to spend time on
> this,
> it can be merged as it, the RMs could re-tag Beta 1 (which may will need to
> happen because of some problems with the wincache extension from what
> I'm seeing) which puts less strain on them IMHO.

Everybody wins - except for our users.

> - [Short tags]  You need to purposely turn it on in your own deployment -
>> people and companies who use it use it exclusively for internal purposes.
>
> This is just plain wrong since PHP 5.4 as it is enabled by default and you
> need to actively turn it OFF as which can be seen on https://3v4l.org [1]
> as it doesn't use any INI configuration files. Now as stated in the RFC:
>
>> Currently the <? short open tag is controlled by the short_open_tag
>
> ini setting. This ini setting is *enabled* by default (if no ini files is
>> used),
>
> but *disabled* in both php.ini-development and php.ini-production.

I admit I did not recall the hardcoded default was to enable short tags.
However, there's probably a good reason for this - it hardly matters -
since the vast majority of deployments (all Linux distros, XAMPP, in short
- pretty much everything) use one of these configuration files (or a
derivative of them) and install it to be loaded by default.  So it's not
"simply not true", it is true in the vast majority of real world cases -
for Ubuntu & friends, for CentOS & friends, even for XAMPP - and probably
most others, except for maybe those who build from source and don't use one
of these files.

Zeev