> Many people have talked about the potential impacts of keeping short tags.
> I have yet to see anyone give an actual example where they have been
> negatively impacted by their existence. I've given you my personal story of
> how removing them will negatively impact my company. I welcome anyone that
> can provide an actual incident where the existence of short tags hurt them,
> or, the continued existence is likely to have a large negative impact on
> them in the future.

I was bitten by short open tags. Despite the "no short open tag" policy in our
app, one occurrence of `<?` slipped through code review. It was in
email template so it was quite hard to notice on production. Especially that
short open tags were disabled only on CLI, so we had code leak only in
emails sent by cron. It took over a month to notice that bug.

You may be concerned about people abandoning PHP due to BC breaks, I'm more
concerned about people abandoning PHP because of issues like this. It
gives me the impression that the language wants to hurt you...

Regards,
Robert Korulczyk