On 8 August 2019 13:16:56 BST, Brent <bre...@stitcher.io> wrote:
>I asked similar questions on Twitter, where Zeev replied the
>following:
>
>> With an estimated number of PHP developers
>> at 10M, 1% is 100K. Whether I know this for
>> sure is not at all the point - it's never how we
>> take decisions. The question is whether it's
>> reasonable or not. And my guess is that a lot
>> more than 1% uses short tags.
>
>It feels like much of the counter arguments are based on guesses
>without any real data to point to.

You can take that both ways though: the argument that short tags should be
removed is based on the same guesses.

I understand Zeev's frustration in being asked to provide the proof when his
position is that we shouldn't be spending any time on the issue at all. It
should be up to those who think a change is necessary to demonstrate both the
harm of the status quo (e.g. real-world cases of code exposure), and that it
outweighs the cost of change (e.g. how many users will need to change working
code).

It would be different if we were choosing between two versions of some feature,
but no-change should always have a starting advantage over change, which is why
we require a super-majority in primary RFC votes.

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]