Kicking a house is a poor analogy IMO - most people don’t upgrade a major
language version without first verifying that their code still works in the
new version.

And the PHP ecosystem is strong – it's possible to find out today if your
code is likely to break (on undefined variables) with both static analysis
tools and runtime error handlers.