http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2013/03/16/fpi-depok-red-light-raids-half-hearted.html

FPI: Depok red-light raids ‘half-hearted’
Yuli Tri Suwarni and Multa Fidrus, The Jakarta Post, Tangerang | Jakarta | Sat, 
March 16 2013, 1:42 PM 
A- A A+ 
Paper Edition | Page: 10

Members of the Islam Defenders Front (FPI) in Depok gathered outside the 
mayoralty office compound on Friday to protest, what they deemed to be, the 
half-hearted raids in red-light areas by the Public Order Agency (Satpol PP).

The protesters demanded that the administration and the police permanently 
close venues they believed to accommodate prostitution in the municipality.

“If the administration does not do it right, we will take over the raids,” FPI 
Depok chairman Habib Idrus Algadri said, adding the accusation that the 
prostitution business was backed by some political party members. 

On Thursday, Satpol PP officers and a team from Depok police closed over 50 
cafes allegedly providing illicit sex in Pondok Rangon, which borders Depok, 
Bekasi and East Jakarta. 

Many of the cafes raided had been abandoned by the owners prior to the raids.

Some of the cafe owners resisted closure and claimed that their businesses were 
legal. However, during the raids, the officers found unmarried couples in the 
bedrooms at the cafes. 

The officers also confiscated hundreds of bottles of alcohol although the cafes 
did not hold the relevant license to sell alcohol.

On Wednesday, officers sealed Duta Residence Hotel in Sukmajaya for running a 
business without a permit after residents reported it for allegedly 
accommodating prostitution.

“Those raids were fake because we found couples still committed adultery in 
those places afterwards,” Habib Idrus said.

The rally on Friday was guarded by dozens of police officers with police women 
deployed to prevent protesters from forcing their way in to City Hall. 

Satpol PP chief Gandara Budiana declined the accusation of fake raids and hotel 
closure.

“We banned activities in Pondok Rangon in July last year, but the residents 
broke the seal on the cafes and resumed the night activities. This time, we are 
determined to bring the offenders to court,” 
he said.

Separately in Tangerang regency, the administration had made it clear that it 
would take stern measures against the presence of amusement places at Citra 
Raya residential area in Cikupa district.

Tangerang Public Order Agency chief Teteng Jumara said the residents had filed 
complaints over alleged prostitution in the area.

“We will execute all illegal amusement places, mostly massage parlors, in the 
near future. We are just waiting for a written instruction from Regent Ismet 
Iskandar,” he said.

The agency found that only one of the amusement places could show an operating 
permit issued by the administration, Teteng said, declining to name the 
businesses to be closed in the near future. 

FPI members in Panongan district had earlier delivered complaints with the 
administration about the presence of the illegal amusement places that had 
caused unrest to the locals.

+++++




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke