http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/11/world/asia/indonesians-calling-military-to-account.html?pagewanted=all


Killings Stir Questions on Indonesia Military Overhaul
 
Suryo Wibowo/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
Police officers at a prison in March after heavily armed intruders, identified 
as soldiers by the authorities, executed four detainees. 

By JOE COCHRANE
Published: April 10, 2013 
JAKARTA — Soon after midnight on March 23, a group of heavily armed, masked men 
forced their way inside a prison near the Indonesian city of Yogyakarta and 
summarily executed four recently arrived detainees with gunshots to the head. 


The coordination of the slayings, the professional demeanor of the masked men, 
and their military-style weapons and communications equipment prompted 
immediate speculation within the Indonesian news media and among human rights 
groups and lawmakers that the assailants were members of the military. 
An uncharacteristically swift investigation by the army found that nine members 
of the army’s controversial Special Forces unit, known as Kopassus, were 
involved in the brazen prison shootings, while two others had come along in an 
attempt to stop their comrades. The army’s chief investigator in the case said 
April 4 that the soldiers had confessed to carrying out the shootings for 
revenge: The four detainees had been arrested in connection with the stabbing 
death of a Kopassus sergeant during a bar fight in Yogyakarta. 

The prison raid has raised questions about what progress has been made in 
overhauling the Indonesian military since the collapse of President Suharto’s 
authoritarian rule in 1998 amid pro-democracy protests. During his 32 years in 
power and after, the military, and in particular Kopassus, has been linked to 
human rights abuses including extrajudicial killings, kidnappings and torture. 

The shootings have also revived calls by human rights groups that the country’s 
laws be amended so that military personnel accused of serious crimes can be 
prosecuted in civilian courts, rather than in the military court system. 

“We can’t rely on the military courts, which are already well known for not 
working properly in human rights cases,” said Haris Azhar, coordinator of the 
Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence, a nongovernmental 
organization that documents military and police human rights abuses. “The 
military court is a dark room where the public and victims have little 
participation.” 

Mr. Azhar cited cases in which military personnel received lenient sentences 
for serious offenses, as in 2003 when a military court sentenced four Kopassus 
soldiers who had been convicted of murder in the strangulation of Theys Eluay, 
a pro-independence leader in the restive eastern province of Papua, to prison 
terms ranging from three to three and a half years. 

In 2011, a military court in Papua sentenced three army soldiers to terms of 8 
to 10 months in prison for “abuse and insubordination” for beating and 
torturing two Papuan men to determine whether they were members of the Free 
Papua Movement. 

Marcus Mietzner, a senior lecturer at Australian National University in 
Canberra and author of “The Politics of Military Reform in Post-Suharto 
Indonesia,” said the prison raid exposed a persistent culture of impunity 
within the armed forces and in particular Kopassus, because soldiers have 
little to fear from military courts. 

Two weeks before the prison shootings, dozens of army soldiers attacked a 
police station in South Sumatra Province after the shooting of a soldier by a 
police officer, nearly burning it to the ground and wounding 17 police 
officers. 

“There’s a pattern that whenever you have a member of T.N.I.” — the Indonesian 
military — “being hurt, injured or even killed, this kind of counterreaction is 
almost inevitable,” Mr. Mietzner said. “This was extreme, and because it was 
Kopassus, of course, it was extremely violent, but it’s not a new phenomenon. 

“You can put it this way: It’s a welcome wake-up call to remind the public that 
military reform not only isn’t over, but in fact in terms of internal 
procedures, ethics, protocols and payments, it has yet to begin.” 

While civil society groups praised the swiftness of the army’s investigation 
into the prison shootings, and the fact that the Central Java regional military 
commander was relieved of duty after asserting immediately after the shootings 
that soldiers had nothing to do with it, they are demanding that the assailants 
be tried in a civilian criminal court. 

On Monday, however, Adm. Agus Suhartono, commander in chief of the Indonesian 
armed forces, rejected those calls. 

“The law clearly states that it must be heard in a military court, so we will 
work according to the law,” he said. 

Juwono Sudarsono, a former Indonesian defense minister and the first civilian 
to hold that post, said that before his retirement in 2009, he had negotiated 
with the House of Representatives on legislation that would allow joint 
military-police investigations of serious crimes involving military personnel 
and would establish a transitional period of five to eight years in which 
civilian and military legal procedures would be combined with sentencing by 
civilian courts. 

He said that the civilian court system in Indonesia was too plagued by 
corruption and incompetence to handle trials of military personnel at that 
time, and that trying soldiers in civilian courts would exacerbate rivalries 
between the Indonesian armed forces and the national police at time when the 
country was less than 10 years into its democratic transition. 

However, Mr. Sudarsono said, that bill was blocked because of opposition from 
the national police and human rights groups, which were pushing for more 
immediate civilian supremacy at the expense of the armed forces. 

“But these nongovernmental organizations assumed that the police, the attorney 
general’s office and the courts were capable and clean,” he said. “I was 
vindicated, because neither of these civil authorities was capable nor clean.” 

Sidney Jones, senior adviser to the International Crisis Group, a research 
organization based in Brussels, predicted that the military trials of the 11 
Kopassus soldiers would probably be more open to public scrutiny given the news 
media attention surrounding the case. 

“That will put more pressure on the military judges to give heavy sentences,” 
she said, “because if we look up till now at crimes committed by the military 
against civilians, it’s actually quite rare that they get sentences of more 
than four years when murder is involved.” 

Yet there has also been an outpouring of public support for the 11 soldiers in 
Indonesian online chat groups and on news Web sites, because the four detainees 
they confessed to killing were widely believed to be gangsters involved in the 
narcotics trade in Yogyakarta. 

“The majority of the reaction is for Kopassus,” said Yohanes Sulaiman, a 
lecturer at the Indonesian Defense University. “They are supporting the unit. 
They’re saying the police are incompetent and cannot control the gangs, so we 
need Kopassus to do extrajudicial killings.” 


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke