http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/as-rescue-operations-end-freeport-focuses-on-mine-safety-review/

As Rescue Operations End, Freeport Focuses on Mine Safety Review 
By Jakarta Globe on 2:31 pm May 22, 2013.
Category Featured, News
Tags: Freeport, Freeport Indonesia, Freeport mine collapse, mine collapse, 
Papua 
 
Workers take part in the rescue effort after an underground training classroom 
collapsed in Big Gossan at the Grasberg complex in remote West Papua province 
in this May 17, 2013 picture provided by Freeport Indonesia. (Reuters 
Photo/Freeport Indonesia)

A day after rescuers pulled the last body from the rubble of a recent mine 
collapse that killed 28 workers, Freeport has turned its attention to a review 
of safety measures at its underground operations, Freeport-McMoRan Copper & 
Gold chief Richard Adkerson said.

“With the recovery work completed we are now focusing on reviewing safety 
throughout our underground operations and in determining what caused the 
collapse. We will take all actions required to provide for the safety of our 
workforce,” Adkerson said in a press conference in Jakarta on Wednesday.

Adkerson said that Freeport’s workforce has always been and will continue to be 
the company’s top priority.

“We will not rest until we are assured we understand the reasons for this 
tragic event and take all actions possible to prevent this from happening 
again,” he said.

Adkerson, who arrived in Indonesia four days after the incident, said that the 
company was now in the process of assembling an outside investigation team 
comprised of Indonesian and international experts in underground mining and 
geotechnical science.

“We will be transparent in the investigation and its findings and cooperating 
with the authorities from the government of Indonesia,” he said.

Freeport Indonesia president director Rozik Soetjipto, speaking at the same 
occasion, echoed Adkerson’s statements.

“Our priority at the present is to move our field team to specifically inspect 
work safety conditions at all our underground mining facilities, in line with 
the guidance from the mine inspector from the Mines and Mineral Resources 
directorate general,” Rozik said.

Rozik also said that the company had no immediate plans to resume operations at 
the facility, which is the second-largest copper mine in the world.

“We will conduct a comprehensive investigation, together with the Energy and 
Mineral Resources Ministry and other independent sides, national or 
international,” he said.

By late on Tuesday, the final death toll from the collapsed tunnel at 
Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold’s Grasberg complex in Mimika, Papua, reached 28. 
The 10 survivors of the collapse were recovering well, the company said.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has ordered related ministries to review 
safety at all mines in Indonesia.

Indonesia generated $1.3 billion in operating income from Freeport last year, 
according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Freeport owns 91 percent of the mine, which also produces gold, and Indonesia’s 
government holds the rest, according to the company’s website.

With additional reporting from Bloomberg


Related Articles:
Copper Hits Two-Week High on Dollar, Freeport Mine Outage Freeport Death Toll 
Reaches 28 as Indonesia Reviews Mines SBY Calls on Freeport to Intensify Mine 
Rescue Efforts 21 Confirmed Dead in Papua Mine Collapse, 7 Still Missing 
Rescuers Uncover 6 More Bodies From Collapsed Freeport Mine 

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Kirim email ke