Hi,

It seems that with USB sticks the only option you have (apart from
finding and mounting them manually) is HAL-based automounting, for
example, HAL + ivman + pmount. Then you can add some nice tricks with
mod_ionflux, for example, create a menu with all mounted drives and
commands to unmount & eject them.

With network profiles you actually have a lot of options, starting from
ifupdown scripts in Debian, where you can specify a profile manually,
through 'divine', a nice small program that is able to send ARP requests
to specified hosts to check if they are on the network and then
configure the interface, to 'guessnet' - a plug-in for ifupdown, which
can do the same things as 'divine' and some more.

While the last configuration (ifupdown + guessnet) is quite complex to
set up, it offers you the most flexibility - for example. your laptop
can select network profiles based on the ESSID of the Wi-Fi access point
you are connected to, or on the presence of specific hosts on the wired
network, and you can always override the selection manually.