On 2009-03-31, Adam Duck <adam.ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, it is possible to _create_ such file names, but you can't use
> them.  Here at WinXP I can create (best under "Desktop") dirs close to
> 255 chars.

Actually, I've been succesfully using file names with colons in them
in Linux on NTFS (stupid NTFS-3g not failing on such names), and
Windows shows them, but you can't access them.

Actually, there is a low path length limit not in NTFS but in the some
old versions of the _Windows API_ itself.  This is probably what the FUD
was about. (And if you consider an API originating for 8+3 names -- if
this is the case -- 255 is a tolerable limitation for path length.)

"""
In the Windows API (with some exceptions discussed in the following
paragraphs), the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined as
260 characters. A local path is structured in the following order: drive
letter, colon, backslash, components separated by backslashes, and a
terminating null character. For example, the maximum path on drive D is
"D:\<some 256 character path string><NUL>" where "<NUL>" represents the
invisible terminating null character for the current system codepage. (The
characters < > are used here for visual clarity and cannot be part of a
valid path string.)

Note  File I/O functions in the Windows API convert "/" to "\" as part of
converting the name to an NT-style name, except when using the "\\?\" prefix
as detailed in the following sections.

The Windows API has many functions that also have Unicode versions to permit
an extended-length path for a maximum total path length of 32,767 characters
"""

--
In 1995, Linux was almost a bicycle; an alternative way of live to the
Windows petrol beasts that had to be taken to the dealer for service.