On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 09:46:27AM +0000, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> > A path in NTFS is not allowed to be longer than 255 chars...
>
> Path? You mean file name? It's the same on ext2/3 as far as I
> recall,

Just tried it out of curiosity, I got bored after about 6000
characters.

> and no practical limitation, just Linux fanboy FUD --

Yeah, the biggest problem is Windows users naming
directories like "Program Files", "Last year's review",
"Deliveries for this and that", which means the 255
limitation actually comes up quickly. Then try to convince
them to use short names and no spaces.

> especially as NTFS uses Unicode, so special characters don't
> take many bytes as with UTF-8.

Actually I think NTFS uses UTF-16 which is about twice as
big as UTF-8 (Unicode being the numbering of letters, UTF-8
and UTF-16 being two encodings of Unicode).

Y.