This http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=177 xmonad bug report is probably relevant. Preventing XSetInputFocus to be called on windows with WM_TAKE_FOCUS set seems to fix the issue for me (ion3plus, sun-java-6)

I will run with the change for a while and see if it breaks other apps. (and possible test other java versions)