The way I wrote that was a little confusing. My meaning was (if I can do better this time) a search for debian+howto+notion will include any howto's for debian where someone had a notion since it's a common english word. Doing a search for various terms+notion generally finds hits from the presence of a sentence in the page about the notion of something or other. You're absolutely right, a legitimate page about a project called notion should rise above that sort of thing.

I was not however really thinking of the legitimate site for the project. Consider a search for statusbar+notion, lua+notion, maximized+notion, keybindings+notion. The point is notion doesn't do a very good job of focusing the hits in on this project. A post someone makes on their blog regarding their experiences with notion containing the exact solution some future user is looking for could be very difficult to find.

I found this to be the case with the name ion, without the '3' it's a very bad filter, and since people often drop the '3' in discussions about it, with the 3 it's a very bad filter.

Excerpts from panman's message of Thu Apr 08 10:25:25 -0400 2010:
I'd like to suggest that it would be preferable if the word chosen for the new name be easily searchable. That is to say, someone doing a search for "notion howto" or "neon howto" are going to get all kinds of bad results.

This is a good point, but looking around, I'm not so worried about it:

google: notion howto
about 65,100 results

google: neon howto
about 170,000 results

The notion hits don't look like they make a lot of sense; I suspect real
HOWTOs regarding a window manager named notion would sort quickly to the
top of the list.

The neon hits include a hit about the neon library on the first page.
Unlike the commercial software named notion, which is unlikely to cause
a lot of confusion, neon is a library which is likely to be on many
users' systems [I have it as a dependency of openoffice and subversion
for some reason I'd prefer not to theorize about].

++notion