From: Gregg Reynolds [mailto:d...@mobileink.com]
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 11:55 AM
To: Nash, George <george.n...@intel.com>
Cc: Joo-Chul Kevin Lee <cms.r...@gmail.com>; iotivity-dev
<iotivity-dev@lists.iotivity.org>
Subject: Re: [dev] difference between "Platform ID" and "PIID" ?

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018, 5:14 PM Nash, George
<george.n...@intel.com<mailto:george.n...@intel.com>> wrote:
This is my attempt to describe the difference between piid and pi. (UUID is
defined by RFC-4122)

piid (Protocol Independent ID) - is intended as an identifier that is
independent of the piid is required to be a UUID.

Typo? Should be "as a device id that is independent of the protocol..."?

Which implies that a protocol-dependent device ID is possible or at least
allowed. If not, then since di is already a uuid, what is the point of a piid?

Is this sloppy or far-sighted? Why would we want protocol-dependent dis?

  It is intended to detect if multiple instances of the same device has been
discovered. One use case you have device `A` discovered by two different
bridges. So your client it told by two different bridges that each bridge has a
device. The client can look at the `piid` for the device from each bridge and
it can conclude that both are the same device because they have the same `piid`
even though the client is getting reports of the device twice over two
different connections. The `piid` could be used to tell if you have discovered
the same device over different protocols. For example TCP and Bluetooth.

Why isn't the di uuid sufficient for that?

Puzzled,

Gregg