From: Heldt-Sheller, Nathan
Sent: Monday, April 2, 2018 9:46 AM
To: Nash, George <george.n...@intel.com>; Gregg Reynolds <d...@mobileink.com>
Cc: iotivity-dev <iotivity-dev@lists.iotivity.org>
Subject: RE: [dev] difference between "Platform ID" and "PIID" ?

Hi Gregg, George,

I don’t know what you’ve discussed already so hopefully I’m not just adding to
the confusion.  And I’m certainly not the official answer on these identifiers
(neither is in the Security Specification).  That said, my understanding is
this:

Platform ID is the OCF-specific ID that is unique to the Platform.  So,
multiple OCF Devices on a single OCF Platform will have the same Platform ID.

PIID is the Protocol-agnostic ID that can be used by a Client to correlate
multiple Platforms (OCF and non-OCF).  So, multiple Platforms – one appearing
as OCF and one appearing as AllSeen, for example – can be understood by a
cross-protocol Client to be the same Platform.  This helps the Client (for
example) display just one set of Devices instead of both to the User.

Thanks,
Nathan