On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 20:14 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Carol Hebert]
> > Do you have an idea of when ipmitool will be rolling to v1.8.9?
>
> I will be unable to spend any time on ipmitool anytime soon (1-2
> month), and thus have no immediate plans to make a new release.  I do
> not even know what changes are in CVS at the moment since the last
> release, nor if any changes should be applied before a new release.
> Anyone know more?
>
> Friendly,

Hi Petter,

Several of us have completed some test cycles on the tarball Arkadiusz
posted on 1/24 which I believe he indicated was a cvs snapshot plus
another Makefile patchset he added to it (the patch is attached to his
1/24 email and does not appear to have been applied to the cvs tree
yet).

Perusing the feedback on Arkadiusz's tarball it appears that the
following issues were found and resolved:

1)  per 1/24 emails from Jarrod Johnson:
.  spec file broken: rpmbuild -tb not working right
.  spec file change log needs post-1.8.8 changes added
.  ChangeLog needs post-1.8.8 changes added
****Patch to fix these things is attached to a subsequent 1/24 email
from Arkadiusz; add the ChangeLog entries to the spec file too******

2) per 1/24 email from Dmitry Frolov:
. small patch for FREEBSD compatibility attached
****Reviewed by Arkadiusz and myself and believed safe****

3) per 1/31 email from Carol Hebert:
. ipmievd sel causes segmentation fault
****small patch to fix this attached to 2/6 email from Carol****

4) per 2/8 email from Benoit Guillon:
. there's a bug in "Get FRU Activation Policy"
**** small patch to fix this attached to the same email*****

5) per 2/12 email from Carol Hebert
. patch attached to fix a few misspellings in code

6) per 2/20 email from Greg Matthews:
. ipmitool make rpm on RHEL3 responded with an error (but the resultant
rpm was fine)

7) per 1/25 email from Tom Naborro:
. There was a SOL fix for a bug with Intel BMC character count return
?? Is this the same issue Steffen Persvold meant to patch with his 2/16
email (see #8 below)???

8) per 2/16 email from Steffen Persvold:
. patch mentioned to fix some SOL functionality issues for Intel 1.5
BMCs.  ?? I didn't see the patch attached to Steffen's email?

Other/outstanding issues:

9.) per 1/25 email from Arkadiusz:
. There's a "FIXME" for bigendian in the lib/ipmi_picmg.c file

10) per 2/1 email from Carol Hebert:
. Patch submitted to add functionality to allow ipmitool and ipmievd to
access multiple ipmi devices in-band for multi-node/multi-BMC systems.
(Please note that the email appended two copies of the same patch - will
resend original if/when you want.)  Carol has been actively using this
code internally for a while.

11) the ipmitool manpage needs to be updated to include many of the
newer commands and functionality

12) per 2/8 emails from Benoit Guillon:
. Patch submitted to add functionality for FRU Control command
. Patch submitted to add functionality for Set FRU Activation policy.

13) per 2/15 email from Francois Isabelle:
. Francois to commit a change to the output format of sdr -v (will this
impact any users/users' applications negatively?)

14) per 2/16 email from Al Chu:
. Patch submitted to add FreeIPMI's library inband drivers as another
interface for ipmitool to use.  Al indicates he's been actively using
this code internally for a while.

----

Did I miss anything?  If not, it appears that maybe all that's left to
do to complete the roll to v1.8.9 is to commit the patches for items 1-5
plus Arkadiusz's 1/24 Makefile patch, maybe live with #6 for now and fix
it in the next release, get more info on #7, and get Steffen's patch
(#8) to review for inclusion.  Additionally, maybe consider including
some of the patches in items 10, 12, 13, and 14 for 1.8.9 and working to
get whichever of these patches doesn't make it in and the other
outstanding issues fixed in v1.8.10.

I know you're ridiculously busy, but if we can get these few patches
committed to cvs, we can pull down the code for a final test and
then.... drum roll please ....  v1.8.9 will be ready for release!  :-)
Please let me know if there's anything else I can do (building, testing,
etc.) to help with this effort.

Thank you very much for your help,

Carol Hebert

P.S.  Do you have an ipmitool test plan you use for Debian that you
could post here for our use?