Hi Dmitry,

  Thanks a lot for the reply. My case falls into the first case where I am
trying to connect to the local machine's BMC with Out-of-band IPMI
interface. Is this not allowed?

Thanks,
Kishore

On 3/2/07, Dmitry Frolov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

* venkata kishore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [02.03.2007 11:51]:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>    I am using ipmitool version 1.8.8. I am getting the following
error
> >> message when I am trying to execute the command "ipmitool -l lan -H
<IP>
> >-P
> >> password chassis power status"
> >>
> >> Error: Unable to establish LAN session
> >> ipmi_lan_send_cmd failed to open intf
> >> Unable to get Chassis Power Status
> >>
> >>   Here is the output of the strace

[...]
> >> recvfrom(3, 0x60f9e1, 1024, 0, 0, 0)    = -1 ECONNREFUSED (Connection

ECONNREFUSED means ICMP unreachable was received from target system.

Most probable reasons are:

1. You are trying to communicate with the local machine's BMC trough
out-of-band (lan) IPMI interface. This will not work by design.

2. You did not configured out-of-band communication on the target
machine's BMC. You will need to do this using in-band interface (e.g
ipmitool -I open).

3. Firewall between source and target prevents communications.

    wbr&w, dmitry.
--
Dmitry Frolov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
RISS-Telecom Network, Novosibirsk, Russia