In this case, it may be his only way in, if the v20z is the same Newisys
box I worked with a while back (I think it is), his assessment that the
Service processor is not accessible in-band may be accurate.  Their IPMI
support wasn't that great either at the time, but you could ssh into it
and do things that way..   In any event, the BMC was so separate it
could not reasonably know an in-band management attempt was being done.

It has been a long time and things may have changed since then, but the
SP implementation of those boxes at the time had crappy, token IPMI
support and were really intended to be used via ssh and the web
interface (the service processor ran linux on a embedded power chip,
it's "SOL" support was even a conserver install in the BMC flash to give
you an idea of how different the service processor was from the more
general stuff).  I seem to recall IPMI could even be disabled (it was a
linux proxy kinda thing to translate basic IPMI command set to native
commands), if so that could be your deal.  You should ask Sun about how
to deal with the v20z.

The question then is, does it work from another box aside from the one
being managed?  If not then this discussion can be moot.