Using the IPMI LAN interface from the local OS is never supported,
regardless of what hardware you have.

Andy

________________________________

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
venkata kishore
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 5:45 AM
To: venkata kishore; ipmitool-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Ipmitool-devel] Error: Unable to establish LAN session

Dmitry,

     Thanks for the explanation. In our case we use Sun's v20z boxes
which has the service processors out side the actual hardware and the
processor, we have separate network card for the service processor. Will
this case you mentioned applies here also?

Thanks,
Kishore

On 3/5/07, Dmitry Frolov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        * venkata kishore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [05.03.2007 12:59]:

        > Hi Dmitry,
        >
        >   Thanks a lot for the reply. My case falls into the first
case where I am
        > trying to connect to the local machine's BMC with Out-of-band
IPMI
        > interface. Is this not allowed?

        For out-of-band interface packets sent to the BMC (UDP port 623)
are
        intercepted on entrance by the network card and routed to the
BMC
        in hardware. They didn't reach operating system. So for
out-of-band
        communication to work You need to send packets from _outside_ of
the
        machine.

        Try to use in-band interface, e.g "ipmitool -I open".

        > Thanks,
        > Kishore
        >
        > On 3/2/07, Dmitry Frolov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        > >
        > >* venkata kishore < [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > [02.03.2007 11:51]:

        > >error
        > ><IP>

        > >[...]
ECONNREFUSED (Connection

        > >ECONNREFUSED means ICMP unreachable was received from target
system.

        > >Most probable reasons are:
        > >
        > >1. You are trying to communicate with the local machine's BMC
trough
        > >out-of-band (lan) IPMI interface. This will not work by
design.

        > >2. You did not configured out-of-band communication on the
target
        > >machine's BMC. You will need to do this using in-band
interface (e.g
        > >ipmitool -I open).
        > >
        > >3. Firewall between source and target prevents
communications.

-
        > Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance
to share your
        > opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and
earn cash

http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDE

            wbr&w, dmitry.