> The sdr command uses ipmi_sdr_get_sensor_reading to read the
> sensor readings, but the sensor command uses
> ipmi_sdr_get_sensor_reading_ipmb to do the same function.
> Changing the ipmi_sdr_get_sensor_reading_ipmb calls to
> ipmi_sdr_get_sensor_reading calls fixes the problem for me,
> so I was hoping this was something that could be incorporated
> into a future release.
>
> Is there a reason for using the _ipmb function? If not, is it
> reasonable to change the function calls in ipmi_sensor.c to
> ipmi_sdr_get_sensor_reading? Below is the updated
> ipmi_sensor.c code if you would like to check it out.

Basically, a BMC can hold SDRs from the BMC as well as from potential satellite
controllers. The BMC then needs to bridge the get sensor reading command to the
satellite controller. This might be the reason, the ipmb commands are used.

In the meantime, you can try if the options -m 0x20 -t 0x20 would work for you
with an unmodified ipmitool. Replace 0x20 with your actual BMC I2C address.

IMHO, the sensor command could use the owner id data from the SDR to decide if
a sensor belongs to the BMC or not and use the correct command based on this
information.

Best Regards,
Holger