Al Chu wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> An additional comment following up some of the other ones assuming
> you're using IPMI over LAN.

no, I'm running it on each local box
>> In any event, if it turns out that sending/receiving the command to
>> the sensors is where all the is spent and startup is less of a big
>> deal, this whole discussion is moot.
>>

> We monitor, power control, do various things w/ IPMI on a number of
> large clusters w/ IPMI over LAN.  I'm not sure how large the systems are
> that collectl is trying to monitor, but I've found that there can be
> slowdowns in IPMI over LAN with 1000+ nodes.  As a UDP protocol,
> eventually one or two packets will get lost, so you can't monitor
> consistently all the time.

I guess this is all moot since I'm monitoring locally, but there are
people running collectl on multi-K clusters

I also guess based on previous notes I'm running into the whole
Heisenberg thing by getting in the way of the systems I'm trying to
monitor if I do it too frequently and so if 1-2 minutes is more
appropriate then the performance is certainly acceptable where it is.

-mark