  From:       Corey Minyard <miny...@acm.org>

  To:         Alessandro Zummo <azummo-lists-ipmitool-de...@towertech.it>

  Cc:         ipmitool-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

  Date:       03/12/2009 11:46 AM

  Subject:    Re: [Ipmitool-devel] serial over lan on Dell PowerEdge R200

Alessandro Zummo wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 20:11:59 -0500
> Corey Minyard <miny...@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>>  The next logic step was to try serial over lan. I've tried
>>>  both ipmitool isol and the dell redirector software
>>>  (dsm_bmu_solproxy32d).
>>>

>> Try enabling cts/rts flow control.  At the login, do:
>>    stty crtscts
>> and that might solve the problem.  It works a lot better for me.
>>
>> Depending on the getty you use, you can do this in /etc/inittab.  Do a
>> "man getty" to figure it out.
>>

>  thank you very much, that helped. I now configured grub to use
>  the serial port and the kernel to have a console on both vga and serial.

NP, glad I could help.

>  grub itself doesn't support enabling rtscts so it probably works because
>  it has been enabled by the previous boot.

It's possible, but you can force it on by doing a
"console=ttySn,115200n81r.  The "r" on the end turns on rts/cts.

>  I can see most of the boot sequence, however the kernel must be
disrupting
>  the console redirection, even if I've set Redirection After Boot, 'cos I
>  cannot see the all the output (no fsck or init.d scripts for example).

Yes, as soon as the kernel driver takes over the port it will turn off
rts/cts.  You can turn it back on early in the boot sequence by adding
something early in /etc/rcS.d to enable it again.

>  according to the ipmitool output it should support speeds up to 115.2
>    bit-rate                    9.6 | 19.2 | 38.4 | 57.6 | 115.2
>  but setting them fails with
>    Error setting ISOL parameter 'bit-rate': Parameter out of range
>
>  that happens with Dell's redirector too so I guess is a limit of
>  the BMC.

BMCs are traditionally very slow and can't keep up at 115.2.  In fact,
they can't keep up at 19.2, generally.

-corey

<<inline: graycol.gif>>

<<inline: ecblank.gif>>