ipmitool-1.8.11 does not display sensor threshold on Dell 1855 blade server:

# ipmitool sensor list
Mem Temp 2       | na         | degrees C  | na    | na        | na
    | na        | na        | na        | na

With older version (ipmitool-1.8.9), I can get some values:
# ipmitool sensor list

Mem Temp 2       | na     | degrees C  | ok    | na        | 5.000     |
10.000    | 75.000    | 80.000    | na

I dug into sources and I have found out, that sensor readings were
modified in CVS version 1.33 of lib/ipmi_sensors.c. There are many
similar changes like:

-rsp = ipmi_sdr_get_sensor_thresholds(intf, sensor->keys.sensor_num);
+rsp = ipmi_sdr_get_sensor_thresholds(intf, sensor->keys.sensor_num,
+       sensor->keys.owner_id, sensor->keys.lun);

and in ipmi_sdr_get_sensor_thresholds():

+       save_addr = intf->target_addr;
+       intf->target_addr = target;
...send the message...
+       intf->target_addr = save_addr;

This causes that the messages requesting thresholds are sent to slave
address "c0" (addr_type == IPMI_IPMB_ADDR_TYPE), instead to BMC
directly. Using '-vvv' option prints "Sending request to IPMB target @
0xc0" and some errors like "Error reading event status for sensor #07:
Invalid command".

The old working ipmitool version sends all messages to BMC (i.e.
addr_type = IPMI_SYSTEM_INTERFACE_ADDR_TYPE) and it shows correct
thresholds + event states.

Why was the code changed? CVS log message says "Bernard Manjou 6/10/08
patch to include I2c address and LUN so sensors are correctly managed;
updated by BM for v1.8.10", but I have not found much details on the
mailing list. Is the described behavior caused by Dell 1855 weirdness or
is the ipmitool code wrong? I admit I got lost in IPMI 2.0 specification :)

Jan