Zaheduzzaman Sarker has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-iptfs-17: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-iptfs/

DISCUSS:

Thanks for working on this specification. I found this spec to be a mix of
transport and non-transport related topics and had to think a bit more due to
lack of rational behind choices made.

I would like to discuss - why there is no normative text (MUST/MUST NOT) for
non-congestion controlled mode over operation in this specification that
prohibits the use of non-congestion controlled mode out side of controlled
environment?

I am also supporting Lars's discuss on 3.1 ECN support.

COMMENT:

The version of this specification changed quite frequently during the telechat
review period, hence I am mentioning that I am reviewing the -17th version of
this specification.

I have following comments, which I believe will improve the specification if
properly addressed -

# Section 2.4: I would like to have rational behind the two mode of operations.
what are the pros and cons and when would an implementer select one over
another? if this is written somewhere else then having a point would be great
benefit.

# Section 2.4.1: I believe the assumption here is that the network is fully
provisioned and no congestion related loss should occur hence here would not
need to react to any loss. what would be source of the potential loss then?
link failure only? if the loss is due to underestimation of bandwidth then 8084
need to be implemented as a last resort. It actually talks about circuit
breakers in section 2.4.2.1 and somehow managed to say in addition to
congestion control, the implementation that support non-congestion control mode
should implement circuit breaker. This is where I am a bit lost, why is this
written in section 2.4.2.1 and not in 2.4.1? is this the assumption that the
implementation that have non-congestion control mode would not have congestion
control mode?

The failure correction due to the expected bandwidth under, where loss seems to
be an indication, seems like a serious matter and but still there is no
normative language requirements on the reporting the loss. I wonder how useful
this could be.

The last line actually makes me more confused. If ESP over TCP is in use then
TCP would trigger the congestion control, thus this becomes a congestion
controlled case and yes, you can then perhaps send out packets without thinking
about congestion collapse. But then the assumption changes, then it becomes the
case IP-TFS is expected to run over a congestion controlled transport. however,
that is not the general assumption for the whole non-congestion controlled mode
of operation. Here, I think we need to clarify a bit more on how to interpret
the non-congestion controlled mode description.