Tero Kivinen <kivi...@iki.fi> wrote:
    >> Tero Kivinen <kivi...@iki.fi> wrote: > I think we should use normal
    >> ESP format i.e. have ESP SPI using > following format:
    >>
    >> I mostly agree.  But:
    >>
    >> > (0-255 bytes) | +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    >> | |

    >> It would be nice to be able to put enough padding to make packets at
    >> least 1280, ideally 2048 bytes in size.
    >>
    >> that would let us diagnose MTU issues better.

    > That (0-255 bytes) is leftover from the figure I copied from the
    > RFC4303, where it was part of the length of the padding field. In my
    > case I did assume that payload can be of any length, so I agree on your
    > fix...

I'm not sure how we put more than 255 bytes in :-)
I guess it doesn't really matter if we call it padding or not, so we can
really just do whatever.

I suppose it would be good to have a value at the beginning of the packet
(closer to what an ICMP PTB might successfully return upon failure) to say
how big the packet was.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )