Hi Daniel, Hi all,

don't get me wrong: I am trying to be helpful.

Integrating the functionality into SCHC alone is not enough. You need to
integrate it into an implementation of IKEv2/IPsec that is suitable to
the mentioned constrained IoT use cases. I have not seen IPsec/IKEv2
being used in constrained environments so far nor have I seen a
"lightweight" implementation for microcontrollers.

I have, however, heard about uses of WireGuard on Linux-based IoT
devices (these are non-constrained devices, obviously) with the argument
that it is simple to use and efficient.

I believe it is worthwhile to think about the motivation of using
WireGuard instead of IPsec/IKEv2 instead of spending a lot of time on
yet another tiny optimization.

Hence, I would aim for a more ambitious goal: Make IPsec/IKEv2 work well
on Linux-based IoT devices (*)

Ciao

Hannes

*: Forget the constrained IoT device use case - there are better
solutions available that don't require IPsec/IKEv2